PLEASE NOTE: All bidding for the auction currently underway
is happening on our temporary website at
Auction End Date
2/19/2008 11:27:00 AM (mm/dd/yyyy)
Membership roll of Anshei Krasnik
קאנג. אנשי קראשניק אף איסט נוא-יארק
[Ms. - Community]
This listing is an independent item not part of any collection
Register, 152 pp., 257 mm., register approximately 20 pp. completed in heavy marker, decorated title.
Membership roll of Congregation Anshei Krasnik of East New York, founded in 1897by immigrants from the town, of the same name, in Lublin province, E. Poland. Jews are first mentioned in 1531 as merchants trading with Gdansk and visiting the Lublin fairs. In 1587 they were granted the right of residence by the ruler of the town, Prince Alexander Slucki. The steady increase in the Jewish population caused the lord of the manor to decree in 1654 that Jews were to reside only in the street where the synagogue was being built. In the 18th century the Krasnik community always provided one of the three elders for the councils of the Lublin province. The community numbered 1,353 persons in 1765 (921 in the town itself). The majority of the Jewish artisans were tailors. The Krasnik community numbered 1,778 (55% of the total population) in 1857, 3,261 (49%) in 1897, and 4,200 (51%) in 1921.
Sefer Krasnik (1973)
(Click thumbnail to view full size image)
Kind of Judaica